Did you know the best civil service system in the world today is that of Singapore??? Since most of the readers of this post wants to get into civil services, I think it would be a good idea to throw some light on the role of civil services in India as well as other nations of the world (developing as well as developed). Right since open competition in civil services was started in India (way back in 1853) bureaucracy has been acting as pillars of functioning of the state. But is it the same for all the nations of the world alike?
Let’s see… Read More…
BRICS is an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. The idea of BRIC was given by Goldman Sachs in 2001. 'BRICS' was actually 'BRIC' before South Africa joined in 2010. All the BRICS nations are developing or newly industrialized countries having a strong hold in regional as well as global affairs. It's first meeting was held at New York in 2006. The first standalone summit of BRIC took place at Yekaterinburg in Russia in 2009. It was at Sanya, that 'BRIC' became 'BRICS' with the induction of South Africa.
To work together through global issues like climate change, global terrorism, food and energy security, financial situations e.t.c. There is also co-operation among these countries in areas of security, finance, business, agriculture, health, culture,sports and science. At present, BRICS account for almost half of world’s foreign direct investments and half of world’s population. As a percentage share of the world’s GDP, their combined GDP is expected to rise from 17 per cent of the world in 2010 to 47 per cent by 2030.
BRICS SUMMIT 2014: Read More…
Even though women are considered to be form of Goddesses in Indian Subcontinent , they were limited by the stereotypes and the structure of our society. The position of women in our society are still better than what it was few centuries back.( Yes!! this is so even with India’s dismal rank of 114 out of 142 countries in gender based disparities.)
So are you one of those people who cringe hearing the word ‘Naxalism’ or you are one of the sympathizers who feel for these group of extremists??Well, to be honest there are enough reasons to be all in favor of the ‘Naxalist Movemovent’ and at the same time there are hundreds of reasons to be against them .Let’s first take a glance at what the movement is all about, their origin, demands and philosophy.
Origin: Read More…
Here is the list of winners this year:
|PHYSICS||Isamu Akasaki, Hiroshi Amano and Shuji Nakamura||“for the invention of efficient blue light-emitting diodes which has enabled bright and energy-saving white light sources”|
|CHEMISTRY||Eric Betzig, Stefan W.Hell and William E.Maerner||“for the development of super-resolved fluorescence microscopy”|
|MEDICINE||John O’Keefe, May-Britt Moser and Edward I. Moser||for their discoveries of cells that constitute a positioning system in the brain”|
|LITERATURE||Patrick Modiano||“for the art of memory with which he has evoked the most ungraspable human destinies and uncovered the life-world of the occupation”|
|PEACE||Kailash Satryarthi and Malala Yousafzai||“for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education”|
|ECONOMICS||Jean Tirole||for his analysis of market power and regulation”|
History of Nobel Prize
- ISIS stands for ‘Islamic state of Iraq and Syria’.(earlier known as Islamic state of Iraq and the Levant.)
ISIS that has been in news for killing innocent lives and carrying out public executions and crucifixions apparently wants to create an Sunni Islamic state across Iraq and Syria.
- They are ardent followers of Sharia Law.
- ISIS used to be Al-qaeda in Iraq when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi established it in 2004.(both of which are two different groups now)
- It funds itself through various rackets like extortion and oil. ( The largest oil field in Syria ; al-omar which can produce 75,000 barrels of oil daily is under their control as of now ).
- US launched campaign to destroy ISIS which in turn was reciprocated by decapitating of US journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff by ISIS. David Haines and Alan Hemming ,two British citizens were beheaded next in order to express their displeasure about Britain-US alliance.
- Many experts believe that today ISIS have overtaken al-Qaeda , as the most influential terrorist group in the world.
Team Aspirant Forum
- Planning commission is an advisory body with wide budgetary powers where members are appointed without any specific criteria.
- Deputy Chairman of the planning commission holds the rank of a cabinet minister without being subject to any parliamentary control unlike the other ministers of cabinet.
- There is overlapping of functions with other specialized agencies like Finance Commission, National Development Council. (for instance preparation of reports)
- Dominant status of private players now, unlike the time when the commission was set up and a huge amount of gross investment came from solely government sources.
- While allocating funds at ground level, Planning Commission often overlook the requirements and concerns of the local area or people.
- There is an unscientific distinction between plan and non-plan expenditure used by the commission.
The most striking aspect of the 376 Indians who were part of the Komagata Maru adventure was the bravery they exhibited, their unwavering commitment in keeping afloat the pride of their country and vastly influencing inter-continental movement of mankind. The story of the Komagata Maru resonates beyond 1914, linking to freedom movement in India and the right to vote for South Asians in Canada. Their stand echoes all men and women everywhere who oppose exclusion and domination on grounds of race, colour and origin. Read More…
Often called as crises of modernity in the twentieth century, World War -1 was a major factor that changed the world forever. There had been continuous clash amongst colonial countries to expand their power and capture cheap resources as well as labors since nineteenth century onwards. There were six contenders in the beginning of the twentieth century for domination of the whole world- USA, UK, France, Germany, Russia and Japan.
IMMEDIATE RUN UP
- How safe are our hard earned money in the volatile and turbulent money market of today? Well, scams like Saradha chit fund , fluctuating prices of Gold certainly don’t draw a good picture in our minds. Do they?
- CDS (Credit Default Swap) has rightly been called ‘the financial weapon of mass destruction’ by Warren Buffet. Euro Zone has been the victim of it’s wrath in the recent times.
- LIBOR scam was in the news some time back . (LIBOR is a benchmark interest rate of the world issued by top 18 bank, which decides the interbank and commercial lending rates throughout the world ). Taking advantage of it’s dynamic nature, banks like Barclays, RBS were apparently manipulating this rate for their own benefits.
- The ‘Sub-Prime Crises‘ of 2008-09 created havoc in the economies across the globe, wherein millions of people lost their jobs, homes and everything they owned. The reason being short-shortsightedness of regulators who were hedging high rating mortgages multiple times without worrying about the consequences.