Quickfacts about ISIS
- ISIS stands for ‘Islamic state of Iraq and Syria’.(earlier known as Islamic state of Iraq and the Levant.)
ISIS that has been in news for killing innocent lives and carrying out public executions and crucifixions apparently wants to create an Sunni Islamic state across Iraq and Syria.
- They are ardent followers of Sharia Law.
- ISIS used to be Al-qaeda in Iraq when Abu Musab al-Zarqawi established it in 2004.(both of which are two different groups now)
- It funds itself through various rackets like extortion and oil. ( The largest oil field in Syria ; al-omar which can produce 75,000 barrels of oil daily is under their control as of now ).
- US launched campaign to destroy ISIS which in turn was reciprocated by decapitating of US journalists James Foley and Steven Sotloff by ISIS. David Haines and Alan Hemming ,two British citizens were beheaded next in order to express their displeasure about Britain-US alliance.
- Many experts believe that today ISIS have overtaken al-Qaeda , as the most influential terrorist group in the world.
Team Aspirant Forum