Why is India better off without Planning Commission?
- Planning commission is an advisory body with wide budgetary powers where members are appointed without any specific criteria.
- Deputy Chairman of the planning commission holds the rank of a cabinet minister without being subject to any parliamentary control unlike the other ministers of cabinet.
- There is overlapping of functions with other specialized agencies like Finance Commission, National Development Council. (for instance preparation of reports)
- Dominant status of private players now, unlike the time when the commission was set up and a huge amount of gross investment came from solely government sources.
- While allocating funds at ground level, Planning Commission often overlook the requirements and concerns of the local area or people.
- There is an unscientific distinction between plan and non-plan expenditure used by the commission.
Based on the above factors it is clear that discrepancies have crawled into the functioning of the commission over the years. Hence, it would be better if the planning commission is replaced by a new efficient and market sensitive organisation that is inclusive of all stakeholders; be it state government, representatives from corporate houses , union government or most important of all the people.
Team Aspirant Forum